Brass Wall Plaque
© 2007 Armchair Travel Co. Ltd. - This page may be used for non-commercial purposes ONLY!

Brass Wall Plaque

[ Play Narrated and Animated Movie ! ]
[ Virtual Tour ] [ Main Topics Index ]

This brass wall plaque records the Chapel of St Stephen which was originally located on this site, and which was handed over by King Edward VI, in the sixteenth century, for the use of the House of Commons.

On the 16th of October 1834 St Stephen's Chapel was destroyed by the Great Fire, only the Crypt beneath it survived.

What stands here today is St Stephen's Hall of the New Palace, which has been built on the same foundations as the original Chapel.

The brass studs in the floor at the East end of St Stephen's Hall show the positions of the Speaker's Chair and the Table of the House in the Old House of Commons, prior to the fire of 1834. Advanced Category Search

Keyword Categories: